Easily Access Jersey City’s Vibrant Downtown
Pedestrian Plaza Extension
The new pedestrian plaza aims to enhance the city’s lively, cultural district. Its creation is intended to help boost the local downtown businesses and extend the popular Grove Street pedestrian plaza. Restaurants along Newark Avenue can now setup outdoor tables.
This area has been hosting a variety of events as part of an effort by the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District to promote the area and make Historic Downtown Jersey City “a better place to live, work, and visit”. Some of the annual events include:
- Downtown Jersey City Farmers’ Market
- Groove on Grove Concert Series
- All About Downtown Street Fair
- JC Fridays
- Creative Grove Arts Market
Jersey City’s Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza returned in June of this year after its two-month trial run last year. This year, the plaza is closed to all vehicular traffic 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Explore Newark Avenue’s Businesses
While you are enjoying a stroll along the new pedestrian plaza make sure to support the local businesses along Newark Avenue!
- Barcade: Bar and arcade with a focus on classic video games and American craft beer
- Downtown Yogurt: Frozen yogurt shop with confectionary treats
- Gypsy Grill: Middle Eastern food with fresh natural ingredients, low prices, and fast service
- Skinner’s Loft: Upscale-casual restaurant and bar featuring a New American menu
- And many more!
- E. Tittlemouse & Co: Designer clothing thrift boutique
- Word Bookstore
- Metropolis Music
- Fussy Friends Pet Suppliers
- And many more!
New Traffic Patterns in Jersey City
To accommodate the plaza and keep the area safe for pedestrians, Jersey City has modified the traffic patterns of Bay Street and Barrow Street. Now, Bay Street from Newark Avenue to Erie Street will run one way East while Barrow Street from Columbus Drive to Newark Avenue will run one way South.
The entire plaza will be off limits to motorists with the exception of garbage trucks, emergency and construction vehicle, and deliveries.